How To Wear Jeans Into Your Forties And Beyond
Jeans are a staple item in any womans wardrobe and finding the perfect style and fit can often be a difficult task for women, especially as you get older and worry that particular styles of jeans might not work for you. But anyone can wear jeans, its just what you team them with and getting the fit right.
You might think skinny jeans are best left to younger women but theyre actually easy to wear whatever your age, its just how you wear them and what you team them with that matters. With skinny jeans its vital that you get the perfect fit otherwise theyll be too baggy or too tight and look very unflattering; the best fitting skinny jeans will cling to your curves rather than squeeze them. Skinny jeans are more suited to a slightly smarter look for older women; wear with a crisp white shirt or simple jumper for a classic look and team with a pair of loafers or court shoes for a leg-lengthening look.
Straight leg jeans
If you love the thought of skinny jeans but prefer something a little more forgiving and comfortable then straight leg jeans are probably your best bet and the great thing about them is that theyre so easy to dress up or down too. They have a similar shape to skinny jeans but are not quite as fitted and have a straight up and down design.
Boot cut jeans
Perhaps one the most flattering shapes of jeans, boot cut jeans do as they say and flare out slightly at the bottom and are design to sit on the top of your shoes. They balance out fuller hips or thighs too, so are perfect for the fuller figure. Boot cut jeans are so popular because theyre so easy to wear casual or more dressy, its just about what you wear them with, a going out top and pair of heels will instantly glam up boot cut jeans.
You cant get a more comfortable style of jeans than baggy jeans also known as slouch and boyfriend jeans. As youd expect they have a loose fitted design and are designed to skim your body and so are flattering on plus size figures as they dont emphasise your shape. Wear casually for everyday with a simple t-shirt or a hooded top.
Tips for jeans shopping:
– If youre self conscious about buying jeans in a shop and dont like fitting rooms then buy them online or through a catalogue to try them on in the comfort of your own home; that way you can also buy more than one sizes and send the wrong fitting one back.
– Even if youre usually the same clothing size, always try jeans on; different styles and brands of jeans have varying measurements. Dont worry if youre a size larger, lots of jeans are actually fitted smaller than standard sizes.
– Jeans are one area of your wardrobe that are worth investing in; theyre staple items so dont be afraid to spend a little more to get those perfect jeans youll definitely get the wear out of them.
– Make sure you know your leg length and if not then measure your inner leg before going shopping. Lots of jeans are offered in various leg lengths with short typically being 30in, standard 32in and long 34in, although youll also find a bigger choice of leg lengths from 27in to 36in with some retailers.
– If youre shopping in heels then pop a pair of flat shoes in your bag or vice versa, that way youll be able to see how jeans look with different shoes and heel heights.
– Leave the over embellished and latest jeans fashions to the younger generations, theyll look cheap on more mature women and make it look like youre trying too hard.